“user” means an individual who uses the Service provided by Birchwood, including anyone else who accesses or visits the Sites.
“disclosure” means making personal information available to a third party.
“personal information” means information about an identifiable individual, but not aggregated information that cannot be associated with a specific individual.
“registered user” means a user who has created and registered an account with Birchwood, as well as a Subscribing Organization that has created and registered an account or accounts with Birchwood.
“Subscribing Organization” means a company, entity or organization, including any business that has subscribed to the Service.
“third party” means an individual other than the user, or the user’s agent, or an organization other than Birchwood or a Subscribing Organization.
“use” means the treatment, handling, and management of personal information by and within Birchwood.
2. Personal Information We Collect When you interact with us through the Service, we may collect or receive the following types of information.Personal Information You Provide To UsYou may provide us with your personal information in different ways. For example, we may collect any or all of the following personal information about you if the information is reasonably required to provide the Service to you:
Please Note: Provision of your Social Insurance Number is optional. However, you should be aware that most credit reporting agencies use the Social Insurance Number as a unique identifier to ensure proper identification when conducting credit reviews and preparing credit reports. If you do not wish to provide your Social Insurance Number, our ability to obtain a timely and accurate credit report may be affected.
Technical Information We Collect Automatically
When you visit the Sites, we may collect, using electronic means, technical information. This information may include:
This technical information (some of which in certain instances may be considered personal information) is aggregated and used to measure and improve effectiveness of our Sites. We do not attempt to combine this technical information with other personal information we collect on our Sites.
3. Purpose of Collection and Use of Personal Information
Your personal information will only be collected and used by Birchwood and employees, agents, partners and service providers in a manner consistent with the activities of the Birchwood. Access to your personal information by Birchwood employees, agents, partners and service providers is limited only to those authorized, based on their need to deal with the personal information for the reason(s) for which it was obtained, including to enable them to perform a business, professional or technical support function for Birchwood.
4. Disclosure of Personal Information
Corporate Reorganization and Business Transfers
5. Change of Purpose
7. Safeguarding Your Personal Information
Birchwood also ensures that its employees with access to personal information are made aware of the importance of maintaining the confidentiality of personal information.
Birchwood takes care in disposing of or destroying personal information to prevent unauthorized parties from gaining access to the information.
While Birchwood is committed to safeguarding your personal information, we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any personal information we collect either directly or automatically from you, and you do so at your own risk.
Birchwood cannot guarantee that such personal information may not be accessed, disclosed, altered, or destroyed by breach of any of our security safeguards. To the degree that personal information is of a sensitive nature, in the event of a breach, there may be a risk of significant harm to you which includes bodily harm, humiliation, damage to reputation or relationships, loss of employment, business or professional opportunities, financial loss, identity theft, negative effects on the credit record and damage to or loss of property.
Birchwood also cannot guarantee that information sent or received over the Internet is secure and does not make any representation or warranty concerning the security of personal information communicated to or from Birchwood via the Internet or regarding the interception by third parties.
9. Retention of Personal Information Birchwood will only keep personal information for as long as reasonably necessary to fulfill the relevant purposes set out in the Policy Privacy and in order to comply with our legal and regulatory obligations. To determine the appropriate retention period for your information, we consider the amount, nature, and sensitivity of the information, the potential risk of harm from unauthorized use or disclosure of your information, the purposes for which we process your information and whether we can achieve those purposes through other means, and the applicable legal requirements.
10. Non-Personal InformationWe may collect, use and disclose non-personal information, including aggregated data resulting from the combination and/or aggregation or certain raw data collected from you with other data in a way that no longer personally identifies you. We make no attempt to link this non-personal information with the identity of individuals. We may permanently archive non-personal information for future use in any manner whatsoever.
11. Accuracy of Personal InformationBirchwood is committed to keeping your personal information as complete, up-to-date and accurate as is necessary for the purposes for which it is to be used. Birchwood will promptly correct or complete any personal information found to be inaccurate or incomplete.
12. Access to Personal InformationUpon request, Birchwood will provide you with a reasonable opportunity to review the accuracy of your personal information. Such personal information will be provided within a reasonable time of the request and at a minimal or no cost to you.Also upon request, Birchwood will provide an account of the use and disclosure of your personal information and, where reasonably possible, will state the source of the information. In providing an account of disclosure, Birchwood will provide a list of organizations to which it may have disclosed personal information about you when it is not possible to provide an actual list.In certain situations, Birchwood may not be able to provide access to all of the personal information we hold about you. In such a case, we will provide the reasons for denying access upon request. Such reasons may include:
13. Cookies and Similar Technologies The Sites use “cookies”, which are small text files placed on your computer or other device when you visit a website. When you visit the site again, the cookie allows that site to recognize your browser. Cookies may store user preferences and other information. There are three main types of cookies:
We use the below listed cookies to perform the following functions:
We may use other technologies similar to cookies like web beacons, which are sometimes called “tracking pixels” or “clear gifs”. These are tiny graphics files that contain a unique identifier that enable us to recognize when someone has visited the Sites or opened an email that we have sent them. In many instances, these technologies are reliant on cookies to function properly, and so declining cookies will impair their functioning.
Right to Refuse the Use of Information Collection Technologies
We obtain your consent to our information collection technologies through our opt-in mechanism on the Sites. You have the right to object to the use of information collection technologies such as cookies. Regular cookies may generally be disabled or removed by tools that are available as part of most commercial browsers, and in some but not all instances can be blocked in the future by selecting certain settings. Each browser you use will need to be set separately and different browsers offer different functionality and options in this regard.
Please be aware that if you disable or remove these technologies you may find that certain functions and features will not work as intended on the Service and that when you revisit our website your ability to limit cookies is subject to your browser settings and limitations.
15. Targeted Advertising and How You May Opt OutWe may use third party advertising partners such as advertising networks, exchanges, and social media platforms to display advertising on the Sites or to manage and serve our advertising on other sites. You have a variety of options to opt out of interest based advertising ranging from browser controls, add on utilities such as ad blockers, and other opt out tools. Opt out tools may include organizations such as:
16. AnalyticsThe Sites employ Google Analytics, a web analysis service from Google Inc., 1600 Amphitheatre Parkway, Mountain View, CA 94043, USA (“Google”). Google Analytics uses “cookies,” which are text files placed on your computer, to help the website analyze how users use the Sites, compiling reports on the Sites’ activity for the Sites’ operators and providing other services relating to website activity and Internet usage. The information generated by the cookie (including the IP address) is transferred and stored on a Google server located in the United States. Google may also transfer this information to third parties where required to do so by law, or where such third parties process the information on Google’s behalf. Google will not associate your IP address with any other information held by Google. We may also use additional analytics programs from time to time to process non-personal information about you.
We make no attempt to link this non-personal information with the identity of individuals using the Service. Non-personal information may be permanently archived for future use in any manner whatsoever by Birchwood.
Disable Google Analytics
You can prevent the collection and processing of cookie created data relating to your utilization of the Sites (including your IP) via Google by downloading and installing the browser-plugin available under the following link (https://tools.google.com/dlpage/gaoptout?hl=en).
Google currently offers this opt-out tool for Internet Explorer 11, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Apple Safari and Opera.
Further information concerning the terms and conditions of Google’s use and data privacy can be found at https://www.google.com/analytics/terms/us.html or at https://policies.google.com/privacy.
17. Contact Us
Birchwood Privacy Officer
Mailing Address: Unit 35D-3965 Portage Ave., Winnipeg, Manitoba R3K 2H7
Telephone No.: 1-855-573-9403
19. Withdrawing Consent
You may withdraw your consent to the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information by Birchwood at any time, subject to legal or contractual restrictions and reasonable notice. In certain circumstances, your withdrawal of consent may result in the inability of Birchwood to continue providing aspects or optimization of the Service to you. Please contact Birchwood for more information regarding the implications of withdrawing consent.
20. Unsubscribe from Commercial Electronic Messages
We may send you commercial electronic messages (such as marketing or promotional messages) if you have:
If you no longer wish to receive commercial electronic messages from Birchwood regarding our new products or services, promotions or other similar communications, you may unsubscribe here:.
Please note that, after you unsubscribe, Birchwood may still send electronic communications to you in certain limited circumstances, such as to provide you with Service notifications and billing information, or to provide information that Birchwood is legally obligated to provide you.